Stolen car recovered

first_imgDiamond robberyThe Police have recovered a car which was stolen during a robbery at Block X Diamond, East Bank Demerara.Reports are the car was stolen at about 01:30h when armed bandits invaded the Diamond property.Ranks acting on information received, swooped down at a location in North Ruimveldt at about 17:15h on Tuesday where they found the motorcar which bore fake registration plates. The car was parked on the public road. However, no one was arrested.Just recently, three men appeared at the Georgetown Magistrates’ Courts charged for carjacking and aiding a carjacking.Edwin Angus along with Mahendra Lall and Munesh Persaud were all remanded to prison for the offences. They alleged stole the Allion motorcar belonging to Anthony Pickett from Princes Street, Georgetown.The car was later found in Essequibo.last_img read more

OMBUDSMAN CONFIRMS: NO EVIDENCE OF CRIMINAL BEHAVIOUR BY TRAGIC GARDA

first_imgTHE GARDA Ombudsman has confirmed its investigation into a garda sergeant who took his own life “found no evidence of criminal behaviour or a breach of discipline”.A file on Sgt Mick Galvin confirming this was due to be sent to the Director of Public Prosecutions as a matter of procedure.But no-one told Sgt Galvin – and last Thursday he took his own life at Ballyshannon Garda Station. The father of three had feared prosecution and the loss of the job he loved. His widow Colette said he “lived” for his job and had been subjected to a “horrendous” Ombudsman investigation.However the Ombudsman has confirmed today that Sgt Galvin had been cleared – with the letter to the DPP a formality.There is considerable anger in Donegal, Leitrim and Sligo over the death.The Ombudsman has decided to have the case examined by an external auditor, possibly a retired judge. Sgt Galvin was interviewed under caution on May 20, and a decision to recommend no prosecution was taken just days before his death.He was laid to rest in St Claire’s cemetery in Manorhamilton on Sunday where Colette Galvin received a standing ovation from hundreds of gardai in attendance. OMBUDSMAN CONFIRMS: NO EVIDENCE OF CRIMINAL BEHAVIOUR BY TRAGIC GARDA was last modified: June 2nd, 2015 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:deathOMBUDSMANSgt Mick Galvinlast_img read more

Chelsea v Leicester line-ups: Terry decision, Blues trio injured, Foxes rotate

first_imgChelsea boss Antonio Conte has resisted the temptation to recall John Terry following his injury for the game with defending champions Leicester.Conte has made only one change from the side which beat Hull before the international break, keeping three at the back.Willian is on compassionate leave following the death of his mother, and Pedro comes in.Minor muscular injuries to Branislav Ivanovic, Cesc Fabregas and John Mikel Obi have ruled them out, with Ola Aina and Dominic Solanke on the bench.Oscar is not involved as he has flown to Brazil due to family illness.Leicester have made three changes from the side that drew 0-0 with Southampton, with the midweek Champions League tie in the back of their mind.Riyad Mahrez, Islam Slimani and Danny Simpson all drop to the bench, with Jeffrey Schlupp, Ahmed Musa and Luis Hernadez coming in.Chelsea: Courtois; Azpilicueta, Luiz, Cahill; Moses, Kante, Matic, Alonso; Pedro, Costa, Hazard.Subs: Begovic, Aina, Terry, Chalobah, Loftus-Cheek, Solanke, Batshuayi.Leicester: Schmeichel; Hernandez, Huth, Morgan, Fuchs; Albrighton, Drinkwater, Amartey, Schlupp; Musa, Vardy.Subs: Zieler, Simpson, King, Mahrez, Gray, Ulloa, Slimani. See also:Chelsea development side held by LeicesterChelsea v Leicester: five key battlesConte on Batshuayi, Hazard’s role, Leicester, Man Utd, Kante and three at the backFollow West London Sport on TwitterFind us on Facebooklast_img read more

Stallion forces draw on leader Meralco

first_imgF2 steadies ship in time, turns back fighting Sta. Lucia Heart Evangelista admits she’s pregnant… with chicken Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next World’s 50 Best Restaurants launches new drinking and dining guide Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss PLAY LIST 02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games Lacson: SEA Games fund put in foundation like ‘Napoles case’ MOST READ What ‘missteps’? WATCH: Firefighters rescue baby seal found in parking garage Ethel Booba on hotel’s clarification that ‘kikiam’ is ‘chicken sausage’: ‘Kung di pa pansinin, baka isipin nila ok lang’ Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. FC Meralco Manila dropped points for the second straight match after the Sparks were held to a 1-1 stalemate by a gritty Stallion Laguna side Saturday night in the Philippines Football League at Rizal Memorial Stadium.Playing their third game in eight days, the Sparks ran out of steam after a strong start, allowing Stallion substitute Jess Melliza to equalize at the hour-mark for a second consecutive draw.ADVERTISEMENT 1 dead in Cavite blast, fire Meralco, which battled the Davao Aguilas to a 2-2 stalemate in Tagum City last Wednesday, remains on top of the table with 17 points from seven matches. A first victory remained elusive for Stallion, which has three points from six matches, although coach Ernie Nierras’ men finally ended a three-game scoreless spell.“For us, it’s a setback,” said Sparks coach Aris Caslib, who missed James Younghusband (injury) and Simon Greatwich (suspension). “We were expecting young players to step up for this game, but the demands of the match were very high.”FEATURED STORIESSPORTSSEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completionSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutoutSkipper Phil Younghusband gave the Sparks the lead from the penalty box in the 14th minute but Stallion tied the match in the 60th minute when Fitch Arboleda set up Melliza for the equalizer. Cayetano to unmask people behind ‘smear campaign’ vs him, SEA Games LATEST STORIES View commentslast_img read more

22 days agoLiverpool legend Carragher: Alexander-Arnold capable of playing in midfield

first_imgLiverpool legend Carragher: Alexander-Arnold capable of playing in midfieldby Paul Vegas22 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveLiverpool legend Jamie Carragher says Trent Alexander-Arnold is capable of playing in the midfield in the future.Alexander-Arnold’s delivery from the right flank has become a consistent and dangerous weapon for Jurgen Klopp’s side over the past few years, but despite that there is still a belief that the youngster will one day move into midfield.”He’s probably one of the best young players in the world if you think about what he has done,” Carragher told Viasport.“If you talk about [Kylian] Mbappe and he’s won the World Cup, but as a defender and playing at this level and how important he is to the team, he is possibly the most creative player in the team from right full-back.“He has a lot of responsibility at a young age and he’s not going to be a superstar, he is a superstar.“His strengths are that he can handle the ball and he is the most creative player in the team, just look at his assists.“People talk about the future and could he come into midfield and be a Kevin De Bruyne type player.”He has more quality now that Liverpool ‘s midfield players and you think about the crosses that De Bruyne puts in from the right midfield position and maybe that’s a position where Trent could play.“But at the moment you wouldn’t think about moving position because he is playing so well.” About the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your saylast_img read more

20 days agoMan City boss Guardiola: Gallardo deserved FIFA nomination

first_imgAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Man City boss Guardiola: Gallardo deserved FIFA nominationby Paul Vegas20 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveManchester City boss Pep Guardiola is full of praise for Marcelo Gallardo.The River Plate coach is being linked with Ernesto Valverde’s job at Barcelona.And Pep told TNT: “What Gallardo has done with River is incredible, at the level of results, giving them consistency every year despite the fact that players leave and he continues to be … there are things that I cannot explain much, we are nominated as three coaches for the best of the year and he is not there. “It seems that there is only Europe, I do not understand how he is not nominated and not only for a year also for what he has done, I hope one day I can face one of his teams, it would be very nice.” last_img read more

15 days agoReal Madrid captain Ramos open to playing for Spain in Olympics

first_imgReal Madrid captain Ramos open to playing for Spain in Olympicsby Carlos Volcano15 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveReal Madrid captain Sergio Ramos admits he’d be open to playing for Spain in the 2020 Olympics.Spain have never usually opted for such veteran players to make up their Olympic squads, but this seems to be something Ramos is really keen on.El Mundo reports that this would be a dream for the centre-back.”If the chance to go to Tokyo comes up, it would be tremendously exciting for him,” is the view of those close to the player.Spain have already qualified thanks to the Under-21s’ performances at this summer’s UEFA European Under-21 Championship and each competing nation is permitted to include three over-23s in their Olympic squad. About the authorCarlos VolcanoShare the loveHave your saylast_img read more

Consumer safety group unveils its worst toys list

first_imgBOSTON – Fidget spinners, a plastic Wonder Woman battle sword and a remote-controlled Spider-Man drone are among the toys topping a consumer safety group’s annual list of worst toys for the holidays.World Against Toys Causing Harm, or WATCH, unveiled the top 10 list Tuesday at a Boston children’s hospital. The non-profit organization has been releasing the lists for more than four decades.WATCH claims fidget spinners contain small parts that can be a choking hazard, Mattel’s Wonder Woman sword has the potential to cause blunt-force injuries and Marvel’s Spider-Man drone has multiple rotating blades that can lead to eye and other bodily injuries.The Toy Association, an industry trade group, dismissed the list as “needlessly frightening” to parents because all toys sold in the U.S. meet “rigorous” safety standards. It also criticized the organization for not testing the toys it focuses on.National toy safety standards are “inadequate,” as can been seen by the high number of recalls each year, WATCH President Joan Siff said.The non-profit says there have been at least 15 recalls representing nearly 2 million units of dangerous toys since December.Siff stressed the toys named each year have common hazards that the group sees year after year. She pointed to the “Pull Along Pony” by Tolo Toys that’s marketed for children over age 1 but has a 19-inch cord.“We don’t need a testing lab to know that’s a strangulation and entanglement hazard,” she said.With consumers increasingly doing their holiday shopping online, it’s more important than ever to have the most current information about the safety of a toy online, Siff said.For example, Hallmark’s Disney-themed “Itty Bittys” plush stacking toy for babies was recalled over the summer due to fabric pieces that posed a choking hazard. But the toy still is readily available online because many web sales are rarely monitored for recalls, Siff noted.Among the other toys that made this year’s list is Nerf’s “Zombie Strike” crossbow, which the organization says poses the risk of eye and face injuries because it uses a pressurized, pull back lever to shoot soft projectiles.Razor’s “Heel Wheels” are strapped onto children’s shoes to turn them into improvised roller skates but pose a burn risk because they include “real sparking action.”And “Slackline” is a tightrope-like device by Brand 44 meant to be anchored between two trees that WATCH says can lead to severe injury and death.last_img read more

Apps and websites help air passengers get compensation for flight problems

first_imgMONTREAL – Airline passengers who use social media to vent their rage at being stuck on a tarmac for hours or waiting days for their luggage to arrive may get some apologetic words from the company, but are unlikely to recoup any money for their efforts.That’s because the percentage of Canadians who actually apply to airlines for compensation is in the single digits, something that Jacob Charbonneau hopes to change.The former airline employee is co-founder and CEO of Flight Claim, a Quebec-based company that has helped passengers reclaim $1.5 million in compensation for flight delays, cancellation, lost baggage and overbooking since starting less than two years ago.Charbonneau saw the service’s potential after helping a colleague fight an airline over a $900 claim.“I didn’t find that it was fair that people weren’t able to get the compensation only because they’re not aware of their rights or they’re not aware of how to get that compensation,” he said in an interview.There is plenty of untapped potential because less than five per cent of Canadian passengers bother to file claims for compensation, Charbonneau said.With Flight Claim, passengers complete an online form and leave the company to handle the rest.There’s no fee, but the company gets paid 25 per cent of the award if it is successful.A similar business model is used by a myriad of competitors that operate abroad under names such as Weclaim, Green Claim, Refund.me, EUclaim and Flightright.While airlines are getting better at managing their fleet, a five per cent annual growth of passengers is straining airports, airlines and air traffic controllers, resulting in more delays, cancellations, and the odds of getting bumped, according to Henrik Zillmer, founder of AirHelp, which offers a service similar to Flight Claim. It also takes a 25 per cent commission.Only 15 per cent of global passengers obtain compensation, leaving 85 per cent high and dry, he said.“It’s very much a secret that the airlines have kept from you that we are now trying to tell all air passengers,” he said from New York City.The company says it has helped more than 20,000 Canadians who stumbled upon the service even though it only formally launched in Canada last month.Customers can allow AirHelp to link with their email to automatically monitor if they are entitled to any compensation on flights they have taken.AirHelp sometimes steps in to sue airlines that reject refund applications knowing most passengers will give up and not attempt to force the situation by filing suit within the three-year expiry period, Zillmer said.Gabor Lukacs, founder of advocacy group Air Passenger Rights Canada, says he supports efforts to help passengers get the compensation they deserve, but he’s not confident that for-profit companies will bear the expense of helping the more challenging cases that would require litigation.“Not all companies are the same in the sense that many of them are just looking for the low hanging fruit,” said Lukacs, a mathematician who has gone to court and challenged regulator rulings in the defence of passengers.While online tools or apps can be useful, Lukacs warns passengers not to rely solely on their opinion.His group’s website offers free advice and has templates of letters that should be sent to airlines in the case of baggage claims. Its 7,000 members also offer advice based on their own experiences through its Facebook account.“We work as a community. It’s a non-profit network where we try to give people some guidance on what they’re next steps could be,” he said.Lukacs is also unconvinced that passengers will get more money from Ottawa’s proposed air passenger bill of rights because the yet-to-be-passed bill will relieve airlines from being obligated to pay compensation for maintenance issues that cause delays.“The Liberal government’s bill is going to double the amount of money passengers are not going to get.”Experts suggest that passengers who think they might be eligible for compensation keep documentation on expenses paid, ask for the reason for the flight delay or cancellation in writing, record interactions with airline staff, not accept food vouchers in lieu of claims and not trust advice from airline ground staff who are likely not familiar with the law.“In Europe, things are much easier,” Lukacs said.“But in Canada because you may be facing a high level of burden of proof, you should really document things … as meticulously as you can.”last_img read more

16 FIRs registered so far against AAP BJP Congress Delhi CEO

first_imgNEW DELHI: Three political parties — the Bharatiya Janata Party, the Congress and the Aam Aadmi Party — have been booked for defacement of public property in various areas of the national capital, Delhi Chief Electoral Officer (CEO) Ranbir Singh said on Monday. “Total 16 First Information Reports (FIRs) have been registered under Defacement of Public Property Act which is also a violation of model code of conduct. Nine FIRs were lodged against the AAP, six against the BJP and one against the Congress,” Singh said, adding that the matters are related to the West, North and New Delhi districts.”The Delhi Election Commission in its special drive, between March 10 and 24, booked total 28,113 people under the Code of Criminal Procedure (CrPC) and the Delhi Police Act. A total of 169 illegal guns and 2,198 cartridges have been seized and 51 FIRs were registered for violation of Model Code of Conduct,” Singh said. “Our 210 flying squad and ground teams are removing posters, banners and other outdoor advertisement material in entire Delhi. Around 2 lakh banners, posters and hoardings were removed,” Delhi’s CEO said. Praveer Ranjan, State Nodel Officer of Election said: “Delhi Police on Sunday booked around 50-60 persons for violating the Model Code of Conduct for displaying the signage boards of a political party in Connaught Place area outside a Metro station.” Speaking about a group of people who were displaying a board written ‘Chowkidaar’ on it at IGI-airport, Singh said that he will look into the matter and will take action as per the law. Singh also requested people to get themselves enrolled in the voters’ list as the last date for applying for Voter ID cards whether offline or online — April 12 — is approaching. He also appealed to youth to reschedule their outstation trips according to the election schedule. “Currently we have over 2 lakh people under the age group of 18-19 in Delhi. People who have planned any outstation trip are requested to cancel or reschedule it after or before polling date — May 12,” CEO of Delhi said. “Currently we have 1,40,25,415 voters registered in Delhi,” he added. He said 425 FIRs have been registered so far under the Excise Act and 424 persons have been registered for violation of the Excise Act. Over 1.68 lakh quarters of illicit liquor has also been seized, he added.last_img read more