Dutch students have created a fully functioning electric car made entirely out of waste, including plastics fished out of the sea, recycled PET bottles and household garbage.The bright yellow, sporty two-seater which the students named ‘Luca’, can reach a top speed of 90 kilometres per hour and has a reach of 220 kilometres when fully charged, the Technical University of Eindhoven said.- Advertisement – – Advertisement – “This car is really special, because it’s made all out of waste”, project manager Lisa van Etten told Reuters.“Our chassis is made out of flax and recycled PET bottles. For the interior we also used unsorted household waste.”Hard plastics normally found in televisions, toys and kitchen appliances were used for the car’s body, while the seat cushions consist of coconut and horse hairs.- Advertisement – View of inside the car made of recycled waste in Eindhoven, NetherlandsThe car was designed and built by a group of 22 students in around 18 months, Van Etten said, as an effort to prove the potential of waste.- Advertisement – “We really hope that car companies will start using waste materials”, production team member Matthijs van Wijk said.“It’s possible in many applications. More and more companies use waste or bio-based materials in the interior, we want to show that it’s also possible to build a chassis out of it.”© Thomson Reuters 2020Which is the best TV under Rs. 25,000? We discussed this on Orbital, our weekly technology podcast, which you can subscribe to via Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, or RSS, download the episode, or just hit the play button below.
Nearly 1 in 3 lose sleep over everyday expensesNew York – June 27, 2019 – Nearly 8 in 10 (78%) of U.S. adults lose sleep over daily stresses like work, relationships, and more, according to a new Bankrate.com report. More than half (56%) of Americans, ages 18 and older, toss and turn over at least one money issue. The biggest money stressor: everyday expenses, which nearly 1 in 3 (32%) say they occasionally lose sleep over.Other than everyday expenses, the most popular financial insomnia contributors include saving enough money for retirement (24%), health care or insurance bills (22%), the ability to pay credit card debt (18%), mortgage or rent payments (18%), educational expenses (11%) and stock market volatility (5%). Those who are losing sleep over money include:Two-thirds of parents with children under age 18 compared to 54% who don’t have young children.Sixty-four percent of Gen Xers (ages 39-54) versus 58% of Millennials (ages 23-38) and 54% of Baby Boomers (ages 55-73).Fifty-nine percent of women compared to 54% of men.More than 6 in 10 (61%) Northeasterners versus 52% of Midwesterners.Nearly two-thirds (63%) of the lowest earners (under $30,000 per year) compared to 53% of those who make $80,000 or more.Aside from financial woes, Americans say health is the next largest contributor to a lack of shut-eye (37%, up from 28% last year). Many U.S. adults also experience restless nights over relationships – including those with family members (29%), romantic partners (21%) and friends (17%) – as well as work (28%), politics (21%), climate change (14%) and raising children (13%).Digging deeper, 38% of those who lose sleep over at least one stressor say a money issue is the main culprit, more than relationships (20%), health (15%) and work (11%). The average U.S. adult is losing sleep over three different problems.Among generations, Millennials are more likely to lose sleep over work (39%) and relationships with friends (22%), while Gen X tops all other age groups in losing sleep over the ability to pay housing costs (24%), and Baby Boomers are more worried about health (41%) and politics (25%) than those who are younger.Millennials and Gen Xers have a much greater tendency to feel uneasy over education costs for themselves or a family member (16% and 11%, respectively, versus just 3% of Baby Boomers).Almost two-thirds (63%) of people struggling to get a good night’s rest are optimistic they’ll be able to resolve their biggest issue and more than three-quarters (77%) are actively doing something to address it. However, more than half (51%) of U.S. adults who lose sleep primarily due to credit card debt say they are pessimistic about improving their situation. The other net pessimistic topics are politics (62% pessimistic) and climate change (66% pessimistic).“When you’re wrestling with a big issue, it’s important to break it into manageable chunks. Devising a plan and starting to execute against it – piece by piece – is the best way to get things done,” said Bankrate.com analyst Ted Rossman. “Simply getting started should help you begin to feel better and settle your racing mind. That holds true whether you’re worried about health, money, relationships, work or anything else.”Methodology:Bankrate.com commissioned YouGov Plc to conduct the survey. All figures, unless otherwise stated, are from YouGov Plc. Total sample size was 2,504 adults. Fieldwork was undertaken on May 29-31, 2019. The survey was carried out online and meets rigorous quality standards. It employed a non-probability-based sample using both quotas upfront during collection and then a weighting scheme on the back end designed and proven to provide nationally representative results.About Bankrate.comBankrate.com provides consumers with the expert advice and tools needed to succeed throughout life’s financial journey. For over two decades, Bankrate.com has been a leading personal finance destination. The company offers award-winning editorial content, competitive rate information, and calculators and tools across multiple categories, including mortgages, deposits, credit cards, retirement, automobile loans and taxes. Bankrate aggregates rate information from over 4,800 institutions on more than 300 financial products. With coverage of over 600 local markets, Bankrate generates rate tables in all 50 U.S. states.
Melbourne: Milos Raonic kept his cool to reach the quarter-finals as young Alexander Zverev went into meltdown and crashed out of the Australian Open. The fourth seed erupted in frustration and fury during the second set of a 6-1, 6-1, 7-6 (7/5) drubbing by the Canadian 16th seed, hammering his racquet into the ground eight times to leave it a mangled mess. “I just tried to stay composed, “said Raonic. “It worked extremely well for me today. I played incredibly good, did a lot of things extremely well.” Zverev was tipped as a future Grand Slam champion after a breakthrough 2018 that saw him win the ATP Tour Finals, beating Novak Djokovic and Roger Federer in the process. Instead it was a familiar tale of woe as his much vaunted-talent deserted him again before he could reach the sharp end of a major. The 21-year-old’s miserable record in Slams was extended to just one quarter-final, at the French Open last year, in 15 appearances. All seemed well when the world number four broke former world number three Raonic’s formidable serve in the opening game of the match. “I was glad I turned around that start quickly,” said Raonic. highlights “I gave myself a lot of curse words after the first game.” But he then lost the next nine in an error-strewn display. Zverev committed eight double faults and 16 unforced errors against only eight winners as the first two sets evaporated in 63 minutes. When he dropped his serve to go 4-1 behind in the second set his seething anger was taken out on his unfortunate racquet, earning a code violation from umpire Carlos Ramos. Zverev left the court for a bathroom break at the end of the set to let off steam and was at least competitive when he returned.He stopped the flood of mistakes in the third set and took it to a tiebreak, saving two match points along the way. But it was too little, too late as Zverev’s abject record in Slams continued. Instead Raonic, who lost to Andy Murray in the last four in Melbourne in 2016, moves on to face Borna Coric or Lucas Pouille in the quarter-finals. Zverev had won the 2018 year-ending ATP challengeZverev defeated Novak Djokovic and Roger FedererZverev has reached only one quarter-final in Grand Slams For all the Latest Sports News News, Tennis News News, Download News Nation Android and iOS Mobile Apps.
First Published: 8th September, 2020 08:34 IST Last Updated: 8th September, 2020 08:34 IST Green, Ottavino Waste Lead, Hit Hard As Jays Top Yanks 12-7 Chad Green and Adam Ottavino were routed during a 10-run sixth inning that included Danny Jansen’s grand slam, and the Toronto Blue Jays rallied to beat the Yankees 12-7 Monday night and send skidding New York to its sixth loss in seven games SUBSCRIBE TO US WATCH US LIVE Associated Press Television News COMMENT LIVE TV Chad Green and Adam Ottavino were routed during a 10-run sixth inning that included Danny Jansen’s grand slam, and the Toronto Blue Jays rallied to beat the Yankees 12-7 Monday night and send skidding New York to its sixth loss in seven games.New York has lost four straight and 14 of 19, dropping into third place in the AL East, two games behind second-place Toronto and 6 1/2 back of Tampa Bay. At 21-20 overall following a 16-6 start, the Yankees have dropped into the AL’s eighth and final playoff position.With general manager Brian Cashman making a rare road trip, New York led 6-2 when Green replaced Jonathan Holder going to the bottom of the sixth. Green, Ottavino and Luis Cessa needed 67 pitches and 43 minutes to get three outs.Green’s ERA jumped to 4.26, and Ottavino allowed six runs without getting any outs as his ERA rose to 7.82.Toronto loaded the bases with a pair of walks and Randal Grichuk’s one-out single, and first baseman Luke Voit charged Rowdy Tellez’s two-hopper but allowed the ball to bounce off the palm of his glove and into foul territory for an error as a run scored.Ottavino (2-3) relieved, and Vladimir Guerrero Jr. hit a two-run, opposite-field single that bounced past Voit and down the right-field line. Guerrero stole second and Lourdes Gurriel Jr., who had three hits, lined a fastball into left for a tying single.Gurriel stole second, Jonathan Villar walked and Travis Shaw lined a fastball up the middle for a two-run single and an 8-6 lead after Ottavino shook off catcher Kyle Higashioka three times. Joe Panik walked, and Jansen chased Ottavino when he drove a fastball to left-center for his first career slam for a 12-6 lead.New York had not allowed 10 runs in an inning since CC Sabathia and Esmil Rogers were hit hard in the third inning of a 15-4 loss to Texas on May 23, 2015.Sean Reid-Foley (1-0) won despite a bases-loaded walk to Aaron Hicks in the sixth that extended the Yankees’ lead to four runs.Voit and Hicks hit solo homers in the first off Hyun-jin Ryu, who allowed five runs and six hits in five innings.Toronto tied the score against Jordan Montgomery on Tellez’s RBI double in the first and Santiago Espinal’s RBI single in the center.Miguel Andújar put New York back ahead with his first home run since Sept. 27, 2018, and Clint Frazier hit a two-run double in the fifth. Andujar added an RBI grounder in the ninth.The game was the first this season between the teams, who are scheduled to face each other nine more times over the final 19 games of the regular season.DOUBLE DIGITSThe 10-run inning was Toronto’s biggest since an 11-run sixth against Minnesota in an 11-1 win on July 25, 2007..SANCHEZ SITSYankees catcher Gary Sánchez, batting .130 and in a 3-for-28 slump (.107), sat for a second straight game.TRAINER’S ROOMYankees: OF Aaron Judge (strained calf) ran on the field at Yankee Stadium while starting to resume baseball activity. … OF Giancarlo Stanton (strained hamstring), also in the Bronx, was out running the bases and hitting against a machine.Blue Jays: Toronto played without OF Teoscar Hernández, who was placed on the 10-day injured list with an oblique injury. The team was waiting for swelling to subside before Hernández undergoes a second MRI, but decided to sideline their leading power hitter, who is tied for second in the AL with 14 home runs. … RHP Wilmer Font was placed on the 10-day IL with a bruised right shin. … SS Bo Bichette (sprained knee) was scheduled to DH at Toronto’s alternate training site in Rochester, where he is play in the field on Tuesday.UP NEXTYankees LHP J.A. Happ (1-1, 4.68 ERA) starts Tuesday against RHP Taijuan Walker (3-2, 3.26 ERA), making his third start since he was acquired from Seattle.Image credits: AP Written By FOLLOW US
ShareTweetShareEmail0 SharesFebruary 2, 2014; Detroit Free PressTen foundations intervened in Detroit’s fiscal maelstrom, ostensibly to save the Detroit Institute of Art. Most were from Michigan, but among them were the Ford Foundation, based in New York (though rooted in Michigan’s auto industry), and the John S. and James L. Knight Foundation in Miami (because the Detroit Free Press was part of the Knight, later the Knight-Ridder chain from 1940 to 2005).Assume that the intervention to save the DIA isn’t just a financial artifice for the foundations to contribute to the Detroit pension fund debacle. Why, then, aren’t these foundations talking about saving the Charles H. Wright Museum of African American History, the nation’s largest museum devoted to the African-American experience? The City of Detroit owns the Wright museum’s building, but ownership doesn’t mean that the city is delivering enough to keep the Wright museum as alive as the DIA. According to journalist Rochelle Riley in the Free Press, the City’s contribution to the museum dropped from 48 percent of operating expenses in 2010 to 21 percent this year. Riley reports that the Wright museum’s board says it cannot survive without city dollars. She says that the current operating budget is about $3 million less than it should have, which is reflected in the museum’s staffing, which is 24, but was once as high as 80, and should be near 60.Has the plight of the Wright museum made headlines comparable to the national concern about preserving the DIA collection? Not to our recollection.Detroit’s Wright Museum is distinctive, and not just because its African-American collection is reportedly the largest. The DIA’s roots go back to the Scripps brothers, the Fords, the Firestones, and the Dodges, but the Wright museum was the creation of Dr. Charles H. Wright, a local obstetrician who grew up in the segregated South before he moved to Detroit and graduated from Meharry Medical College in 1943. Concerned that African-Americans should have an appreciation of their history, Wright initially created the museum in the basement of his home in 1965.However, like many museums dedicated to the black experience in the U.S., the Wright has had financial difficulties, nearly closing in 2004 but for an emergency cash infusion of a half-million dollars from the city. From 2006 through 2012, the years for which the Wright museum’s Form 990s are available on GuideStar, the museum has run an annual operating deficit even though its expenditures have declined annually, from $10.1 million in fiscal 2006 to a paltry $4.8 million in fiscal year 2012. Private contributions to the museum have dropped from $7.8 million in 2005 to $2.3 million in 2008, and down to $853,000 in 2012.The Wright museum has been in financial trouble largely throughout its modern history. Unlike the DIA, it is a nonprofit, but one housed in a facility owned by the city of Detroit, which pledged to fund half of its annual operating costs but rarely if ever met that target. Reportedly, the museum has had strong success in raising money for its exhibitions, but not for its operating costs. The Wright’s revenues from admissions, programs, exhibits, and sales come nowhere near making up the gap, despite the drastic reductions in the museum’s annual operating costs.According to the Freep’s Riley, it isn’t known whether the financial deal being negotiated by district court judge Gerald Rosen and emergency manager Kevin Orr will affect—or, rather, how it will affect—the future of the Wright. Will the city sell the museum’s home? Will it be compelled to cut its annual subsidy down to next to nothing, despite the negotiated agreement for city subsidy that doesn’t expire until 2019? Will the major foundations that have supported the Wright over the years be able to keep up their funding support after they make their DIA-related investments?Foundations have rallied to the cause of the Detroit Institute of Arts. Will they come together with equal fervor to save the largest African-American historical museum in the U.S.?—Rick CohenShareTweetShareEmail0 Shares