Coming down heavily on the Amarnath Shrine Board for not providing enough infrastructure to devotees, the National Green Tribunal (NGT) on Wednesday constituted a committee of experts to maintain the “sanctity of the shrine”.Directing the board to build eco-friendly washrooms, a bench headed by NGT chairperson Swatatnter Kumar said: “There are no proper facilities for toilets. Do you even know how humiliating this is for women? You have allowed shops on the path near the shrine. You are giving priority to commercial activities over pilgrims.”The panel asked the committee to consider the construction of an iron bridge from Panchawati to the steps of the shrine in order to protect the glaciers. The tribunal also directed the authority to remove an iron rod from the cave to facilitate devotees offering prayers. The NGT has also asked the committee to take enough measures to ensure that pilgrims did not pollute the cave with the material they carried inside.The committee set up by the green panel is headed by the Additional Secretary, Ministry of Environment and Forests (MoEF), and comprises scientists, officers of the Jammu and Kashmir Pollution Control Board, petitioner Gauri Maulekhi and others.The committee has been asked to file a report before the tribunal by the first week of December on aspects like providing proper paths for devotees.On Monday, while hearing Ms. Maulekhi’s plea, the NGT capped the number of devotees at Vaishno Devi to 50,000 a day. The directions came after the petitioner had alleged that due to the increasing number of devotees at shrines, the ecosystem was being damaged.
VANCOUVER – The B.C. Taxi Association says it has found an app to meet customer demands across the province, making the need for ride sharing services like Uber and Lyft unnecessary.But an Uber spokesman said Monday hundreds of thousands of people in B.C. have already accessed their app in the search for reliable and affordable services.The association and Uber are among numerous industry representatives and experts who are appearing before an all-party legislature committee this week in Vancouver on the future of ride-hailing services in the province.Taxi association president Mohan Kang said ride-sharing services could “destroy” the taxi industry and put drivers out of work.He told the committee a single ride-sharing app that allows people to book rides should be approved by the government. The association is endorsing an app called Kater, developed in B.C., that would be used by taxi companies.“I believe it will serve the consumers better if there’s one app,” Kang said, adding that a single app would also prevent the oversupply of taxis.“If there are too many, then it will become like a deregulated state. There has to be some sort of cap to ensure the guys are making enough money for (their) livelihood.”The Green party has been pushing for ride sharing, but the NDP and Liberals have said further study is needed to look at the impact on the industry.Green Leader Andrew Weaver said ride sharing in B.C. is long overdue.“There’s no question we are lagging the rest of the world,” said Weaver, who is a member of the committee. “Vancouver is the only major jurisdiction in all of North America, and one of the few in the world, that does not have some form of riding-hailing.”Michael van Hemmen, public policy manager with Uber Canada, told the committee there is huge demand for reliable and affordable ride sharing.“Since 2015, over half a million residents and tourists have downloaded or opened the app here in British Columbia,” he said.The company wants the province to implement regulations similar to those previously proposed by Weaver in the legislature that would allow ride sharing to operate in B.C.“A provincial framework is key because there is no reason there should be different safety rules or restrictions in each of the 20-plus municipalities across Metro Vancouver or dozen municipalities in the capital (Victoria) region,” van Hemmen said.Taxis and ride sharing have managed to co-exist in other markets, van Hemmen said, and the service could come to B.C. if regulatory changes are made to insurance policies, drivers licence requirements and vehicle inspection standards.“Ride sharing won’t happen unless there is a workable insurance product,” he said.The company wants an insurance system that would allow personal vehicles to be insured as commercial vehicles only for the duration — measured by distance — that a ride is being provided.Drivers would only need a standard licence, rather than a commercial-class licence, to provide rides and the rigour of vehicle inspections should reflect the occasional nature of ride sharing, van Hemmen said.The B.C. Taxi Association said if ride-sharing services are allowed to operate, they need to be held to the same regulatory standards as taxi companies. Kang said there should also be a standardized base rate to create a fair playing field for all operators.Representatives from the ride-sharing service Lyft are also scheduled to make their case to the committee. The hearings will continue through Wednesday and a report is expected to be released next month.— Follow @Givetash on Twitter.
“Time heals all wounds” is kind of a nonsense saying when it comes to sports. If it were true, rivalries wouldn’t exist and 35-year-olds on the brink of retirement wouldn’t hang on for one last World Cup. More than half the likely starters on the U.S. and Japanese national teams in the Women’s World Cup final this Sunday were there for the agony and ecstacy — depending which team you were on — of the 2011 final game, when Japan defeated the U.S. on penalty kicks. Japan now has a chance to repeat history, and join Germany and the U.S. as the only countries to win two World Cup titles. The U.S. is looking to break its 16-year World Cup drought and secure its place in history as the greatest World Cup dynasty of all time (in either the women’s or men’s game).This championship game might not be the greatest of all time, but it’s one with a lot of still-fresh wounds, so here’s a look at how it’s shaping up.Things are more even than they seemBack in 2011, some betting lines put Japan’s chances of beating the U.S. around 28 percent, not so far from where they are this time around. Coming off a huge semifinal win over Germany, FiveThirtyEight’s model says the Americans should win 67 percent of the time, but the two teams’ performances in this World Cup have been pretty similar. Both teams have created the same number of chances (59) and scored the same number of goals (nine), despite having traveled very different paths to the final.It’s likely that goals won’t come easily for either side. The U.S. hasn’t been scored on since its opening game, and Japan has conceded only three goals in six games (one of which was an egregious keeper error). It may very well come down to who can capitalize on the few good opportunities the defense allows, and which team doesn’t miss early chances like the U.S. did in the 2011 final.A battle of two very different stylesJapan is arguably the most technical team in the world; it has had the highest pass completion percentage of any team at the World Cup (80 percent compared to the Americans’ 74 percent) and its players have touched the ball and attempted almost 1.5 times as many passes as the U.S. players. Japan plays a quick, one-and-two-touch style of soccer that is different from the styles of most teams the U.S. has faced so far. The closest comparison is probably Colombia — and the U.S. struggled a bit to win the ball back in the midfield in that game.Where the U.S. will excel against Japan is with its physicality and speed; by pressuring the defense and surprising Japan by playing the ball in behind. This is how the first U.S. goal came at the 2011 World Cup: The midfield collapsed to win the ball back, Megan Rapinoe played a long ball in behind, and Alex Morgan outran her defender and scored with just two touches. In the semifinal game against England this year, Japan struggled when the Lionesses pressured and stepped to win the ball back, and the U.S. must do the same thing if it hopes to break down Japan’s tremendous organization. The Americans are undoubtedly faster and stronger than Japan, but they’ll also need to be able to win the ball from a team that hardly loses it.Slow and steady wins the race (at least for one team)Both teams’ chances of winning didn’t change significantly throughout the tournament aside from a bump after the semifinal games; the U.S. hovered around 30 percent and Japan around 10 percent for the majority of the World Cup. Neither team looked stellar during the group stage — eyes were on Germany, France and even Brazil’s early dominance — but these are the two teams that have made it to the World Cup final.“These are two talented teams with a lot of history and rivalry, and I think it will be a classic matchup,” U.S. coach Jill Ellis said about Sunday’s final. The score in head-to-head matchups is one to one right now — one World cup victory for Japan to one Olympic gold medal for the U.S. — but everyone knows a World Cup trophy tastes sweeter than gold.
Recommended for you American tourist claims #MeToo after alleged sexual assault in Grand Turk Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppNassau, Bahamas, February 10, 2017 – The proposal is for The Bahamas to now have 39 constituencies, no loner 38 and that is partly due to the fact that the population in Nassau has swelled by a huge 6.9% in just five years.Of the 39 seats, Nassau will now have 24, Freeport remains with five and the Family Islands with 10. The new constituency is called St Barnabas and takes 11 polling stations from surrounding areas including Ft. Charlotte, Centerville and Englerston. It includes Wulff Road, East Street, Thompson Boulevard, Lightbourne Avenue, Maxwell Avenue and Haven Avenue.The Revision of Boundaries and Re-Distribution of Seats Order 2017 which was tabled in the House on Thursday, also offers that the constituency we know as Montagu in Nassau should be changed to Freetown.#MagnetiMediaNews Multi-millionaire Barbados businessmen arrested in $3m drug bust, yacht suspected in drug trafficking Sint Maarten to close Kim Sha Marketplace to make way for future construction Related Items:#magnetimedianews
The Belgian goalkeeper knows that defending the goal of Real Madrid is the most difficult job in the football world.A goalkeeper’s job is very difficult. Not only you are the last line of defense against the rivals, but you are also in constant pressure.This is why Thibaut Courtois feels there’s a lot of pressure when playing for Real Madrid.“Whenever a goalkeeper makes a mistake, it almost always ends up in a goal, so there is always pressure,” he told UEFA.“There’s pressure here at Madrid, but I don’t think that changes whichever club you’re playing for,” he added.“You have to focus at all times.”“When we’re attacking, it is very important to be alert, to play behind the defensive line; if it’s a high defensive line then you need to get further upfield,” he continued.“You need to play in the space and stop those balls getting through; for example against Roma [in the group stage], I had to come out of the area two or three times to stop the counter. That’s when you need to be alert and that’s why you always need to be concentrating.”“Over the last ten years, a lot more has been asked of goalkeepers – to be good with your feet, play in the space – when maybe it was not like this 20 years ago,” he continued.La Liga Betting: Match-day 4 Stuart Heath – September 14, 2019 Despite it being very early into La Liga season, both Barcelona and Real Madrid have had unprecedented starts to their campaigns. With this in…“Even so, when I played at Genk as a child, they asked you to play with your feet from a very young age.”“It also depends on the team you play for, whether they’re only looking to play long balls or to play out from the back,” he explained.“Being a goalkeeper nowadays is much more than making saves on the line – it’s also about playing into space, playing with your feet, and reducing the distance between yourself and the defense. It’s a little of everything.”“It’s the same for every match: I watch videos of the team’s attacking routines, I watch the penalties, I look at the mistakes, I see how the strikers finish,” he said when preparing for matches.“That doesn’t change, whether it’s the Champions League, the Liga, or a cup tie.”“They have a good team with a mix of experience and young talent and I think they play good football. They will come and play open. They won’t defend; that’s their style, they play football,” the goalkeeper concluded talking about Ajax.Great teamwork pays off. Proud of our team for jumping to second place. A big thanks to all our fans in the world for cheering us on #HalaMadrid pic.twitter.com/cqTRiS1GC4— Thibaut Courtois (@thibautcourtois) February 10, 2019
Seward Highway drivers should expect intermittent road closures and flagging operations at mile 68.7, the Turnagain Pass area, throughout the night due to flooding. The road closures were scheduled to start this evening, Oct. 24, to replace culverts under the road. This work will now take place next spring. Original Story: http://www.radiokenai.us/reminder-overnight-closures-on-the-seward-highway-start-today/ Facebook0TwitterEmailPrintFriendly分享Due to extreme weather on the Seward Highway, scheduled road closures for mile 84.6 and 86.1 has been cancelled according a release from the Department of Transportation. Workers will be pumping water across the road, so both lanes need to be closed for the work. For updates, visit 511.Alaska.gov.
Alita: Battle Angel is packed with cutting-edge visual effects, which means everybody involved had to be on top of their game — and that goes for the actors too, according to Christoph Waltz.Oscar-winning actor Waltz plays a cybernetics expert who nurtures a young cyborg in Iron City, a dystopian future metropolis ruled over by a distant elite floating high above in the sky. It’s an action-packed sci-fi extravaganza laced with political themes about inequality. Filmmakers Waltz trained as an actor in Vienna and New York in the 1970s, studying method acting with legendary teachers Lee Strasberg and Stella Adler. According to Waltz, Strasberg admitted teaching acting was a way of making money, and so Waltz doesn’t romanticise thespian techniques — especially when there’s thousands of dollars at stake during a shoot. With hundreds of technicians and crews standing by, Waltz emphasises that actors have to be focused and prepared.Alita was developed by legendary director James Cameron, who Waltz calls the éminence grise of sci-fi action. But Cameron was busy with the planned Avatar sequels, so Robert Rodriguez took over. Waltz describes how the pair complemented each other with their different styles.Alita: Battle Angel is released in the UK on 6 February and the US on 14 February.Culture: Your hub for everything from film and television to music, comics, toys and sports.Movie Magic: The secrets behind the scenes of your favorite films and filmmakers. 3:46 Alita: Battle Angel’s Christoph Waltz reveals why acting… Post a comment TV and Movies 0 Now playing: Watch this: Tags Share your voice
The Supreme Court on Tuesday asked the Sahara Group to deposit Rs 5,092 crore for its chief Subrata Roy’s bail by selling 13 of its properties. The court also said they may be granted more time if the group were unable to sell these properties by April 7. Meanwhile, the court also extended Roy’s parole till April 17.The SC also asked the Ghaziabad Development Authority to compensate the Sahara Group with Rs. 1,112 crore for acquiring 91 acres of the latter’s land. The money has to be deposited by the Ghaziabad Development Authority on behalf of Sahara. The next court hearing is on April 17.The Sahara Group also gave the SC a list of properties that it wishes to sell for repayment, which the court agreed to. The SC also ordered global real estate company MG Holdings to deposit Rs 750 crore to prove its bonafide for buying Sahara’s share in New York’s Plaza Hotel. MG Holdings told the court that it would pay $550 million for buying Sahara shares in Plaza Hotel.The apex court had earlier ordered that the group’s prime property worth Rs 39,000 crore at Aamby Valley in Pune be attached in an ongoing case against Roy.Roy was jailed on March 4, 2014, until he was granted a four-week custody parole on May 6, 2016, to perform his mother’s last rites. The apex court had earlier extended the Sahara chief’s parole till November 28, 2016, after he deposited Rs 200 crore with the SEBI in October.In August 2012, two companies of the Sahara Group were ordered by the SC to deposit over Rs 24,000 crore to SEBI. The money was collected from around three crore investors, who invested in their optionally fully convertible debentures (OFCDs) between 2008 and 2011, through issuance of certain bonds with 15 percent interest.Roy was sent to jail on March 4, 2014, after he failed to abide by the court’s order to pay a sum of Rs 10,000 crore. SEBI had said, earlier in February 2017, that the Sahara Group still has to pay Rs 14,779 crore towards principal.
Nizam Uddin Hazari. File photoThe High Court on Thursday declared parliament membership of the Awami League’s Nizam Uddin Hazari legal, reports UNB.The single bench of justice Md Abu Zafar Siddique handed down the verdict rejecting the writ petition filed challenging the legality of his parliament membership.On 27 February, the same bench set Thursday for delivering its verdict on completion of the hearing, said Satyaranjon Mandal, lawyer of the petitioner.On 15 January, the single HC bench of justice Farid Ahmed felt embarrassed to hear the petition and sent it to the then acting chief justice Md Abdul Wahhab Miah.Later, the acting chief justice assigned justice Md Abu Zafar Siddique for hearing and disposing of the petition.The High Court felt embarrassed for eight times to hear the writ petition and gave split orders once after hearing the pleas.On 6 December last year, an HC bench delivered the dissenting verdicts on the writ petition challenging the legality of AL MP Nizam Uddin Hazari’s parliament membership.Senior judge of the bench justice Md Emdadul Huq declared the election of the Feni-2 constituency MP illegal while junior judge justice FRM Nazmul Ahsan rejected the petition.In 2014, Shakhawat Hossain Bhuiyan, a Jubo League leader of Feni, filed the writ petition with the HC attaching a newspaper report of 10 May 2014, stating that Nizam Uddin Hazari had been awarded 10 years’ imprisonment in an arms case, but had been freed from prison two years and 10 months before his jail term was completed.