Harrison finishes Wildcats

first_img “We’re playing like a mediocre ball club,” Arizona coach Lute Olson said. “If we’re going to change that we need to play as a team.” Johnson, playing in his first game since serving a two-game suspension, put the Ducks up for good with a driving jumper in the lane that made it 66-64 with 3 minutes to play. A free throw by Adams cut Arizona’s deficit to one point, but Brooks followed with a free throw and Oregon closed out the final 2:34 on a 7-3 run. Hairston hit four 3-pointers in just over 4 minutes midway through the second half to lead the Ducks on a 16-3 run. His first 3-pointer at the 14:11 mark broke a 44-44 tie, and his layup with 8:44 left gave Oregon its largest lead of the game, 60-49. “Malik was on fire,” Brooks said. “That’s why we call him our stud. He hit some clutch shots; he played his heart out.” 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREGift Box shows no rust in San Antonio Stakes win at Santa Anita Aaron Brooks added 17 points for Oregon, which shot 55 percent from the field, while Bryce Taylor scored 11 and Brandon Lincoln and Ivan Johnson each had 10. But it was Hairston leading the way, hitting nine of 13 field goals. “If you look at his face and his demeanor, he looks 24 or 25,” Oregon coach Ernie Kent said. “Then you remember he is only 18. There will be a time when he takes over an entire game, but he is not quite there yet.” The Wildcats were swept on the Oregon trip for the first time since 2000. Mustafa Shakur scored 19 points for the Wildcats, who lost 75-65 to Oregon State on Thursday, and Hassan Adams added 15. The Ducks (9-8, 3-2 Pac-10) beat the Wildcats (10-6, 3-3) for the first time since 2002 and got their first victory against a ranked opponent since beating No. 25 Stanford on Feb. 6, 2003. “It’s a big win, it’s a great feeling,” said Hairston, a sophomore. “It’s the first time since I’ve been here that we beat a ranked team.” center_img EUGENE, Ore. – Malik Hairston’s big finish delivered an important win for Oregon on Saturday. Hairston scored 18 of his 23 points in the second half to lift Oregon to a 73-68 win over No. 24 Arizona. last_img read more

2 deny causing death of toddler

first_img 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREWalnut’s Malik Khouzam voted Southern California Boys Athlete of the Week A preliminary hearing setting for the couple is scheduled Nov. 10 in Division 5 of Alhambra Superior Court. The preliminary hearing is scheduled Dec. 1, also in Division 5 of the Alhambra Superior Court. The couple were arrested three days after a 9-1-1 call Oct. 11 from their home in the 1700 block of South Second Street, reporting a child not breathing. The toddler, whom officials said had been in the couple’s care since she was 9 months old, was pronounced dead at a local hospital after attempts to revive her failed. A preliminary coroner’s report ruled the death a homicide because the child had died as a result of “severe blunt trauma to the lower abdomen causing life-threatening injuries,’ Alhambra police said. Molly R. Okeon can be reached at (626) 578-6300 Ext. 4496, or by e-mail at [email protected] ALHAMBRA — The couple charged with killing Sarah Chavez, their 2-year-old foster daughter, were arraigned Wednesday in Alhambra Superior Court. Frances Abundis, 35, and Armando Abundis Sr., 32, pleaded not guilty to charges of murder, child abuse and assault. Frances Abundis also was charged with possession of marijuana with intent to sell, according to the Los Angeles District Attorney’s Office. They are charged with one count of assault on a child causing death, one count of murder and two counts of child abuse likely to cause great bodily injury or death, according to the District Attorney’s Office. If convicted, each defendant faces a possible life sentence with no chance of parole. They are being held on $2 million bail each, and both defendants were ordered not to contact or come within 100 yards of Armando Abundis Jr. by L.A. Superior Court Judge David Sotelo on Oct. 18.last_img read more

Man knifed in St Julians

first_img SharePrint A man was grievously wounded after he was knifed in the face during an argument in St Julian’s, Tuesday morning.District Police and the Rapid Intervention Unit arrived on site and found a 25 year old man with wounds in his face.From preliminary investigations, police concluded that the man was wounded by means of a sharp and pointed weapon. A 44 year old man from St Julian’s is being investigated further by the Police.The victim from St Paul’s Bay is being hospitalized.Two men arraigned in Gozo CourtThe police arraigned in court two British men aged 25 accusing them of grievously wounding another man on July 14. The case occurred in Xlendi Road, limits of Munxar.The men pleaded guilty to the charges brought against them and were granted bail under various conditions.Inspector Bernard Charles Spiteri led the prosecution.WhatsApp <a href=’http://revive.newsbook.com.mt/www/delivery/ck.php?n=ab2c8853&amp;cb={random}’ target=’_blank’><img src=’https://revive.newsbook.com.mt/www/delivery/avw.php?zoneid=97&amp;cb={random}&amp;n=ab2c8853&amp;ct0={clickurl_enc}’ border=’0′ alt=” /></a>last_img read more