Chris Stewart APTN National NewsIt was an election result that surprised no one.Premier Brad Wall’s party was elected to another majority in Saskatchewan Monday.Wall’s party won 51 of 61 seats.The Federation of Saskatchewan Indian Nations congratulated Wall on his victory and Chief Bobby Cameron believes now is a good time to talk about resource development.More so, partnering with First Nation communities.
Dan Cohen AUTHOR An amendment to the Senate version of the fiscal 2016 budget resolution calling for relief from the statutory spending caps for defense and non-defense spending over the next two years is unlikely to be included in the compromise resolution the two chambers are expected to hash out over the coming weeks.The amendment, introduced by Virginia Sen. Tim Kaine (D) and passed with the support of four Republicans, called for replacing $148 billion in spending cuts in fiscal 2016 and 2017 with alternative offsets not yet specified over the 10-year budget window, reported CQ.As talks get under way over a compromise budget, conservative groups are pushing back against the provision because it would reverse the Budget Control Act spending caps. The fight over relaxing the caps is part of the larger budget battle between right wing champions of the spending limits and defense hawks.So far, no formal negotiations are expected on replacing the Budget Control Act spending cuts, but the issue likely will heat up as the new fiscal year approaches. Lawmakers would need to pass a bill altering the caps as language in the budget resolution is not binding.Despite the uphill battle, Kaine will attempt to include his provision in the budget conference report, as well as encourage bipartisan talks on a deal to provide a reprieve for discretionary spending, regardless of what happens in the budget conference, according to the story.A Kaine spokesman said the amendment was “important to ensure everything is on the table to replace the sequester cuts” and make clear that there should be relief to both defense and non-defense programs.“It’s his hope the amendment sets the stage for a multiyear deal on sequester similar to Murray-Ryan,” the spokesman said in reference to the December 2013 deal struck by Rep. Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) and Sen. Patty Murray (D-Wash.) that offered the Pentagon $31 billion in spending above the FY 2014 and 2015 caps.
The findings, published in the journal Human Nature, suggest that men and women with genotypes consistent with prevailing gender norms are seen as more desirable.The researchers from the University of California, Irvine wanted to find out if mate selection could actually be influenced by people’s ability to quickly detect the so-called “good genes.” The team led by Karen Wu turned to speed-dating to test their predictions in a real-life scenario. Also Read – ‘Playing Jojo was emotionally exhausting’In such meet-ups, participants only had a few minutes to assess the short- and long-term potential of their speed-dating partners, and to decide whether or not to offer their partners a second date.The team recruited 262 single Asian Americans to have three-minute dates with members of the opposite sex. After each speed-date, participants were asked whether or not they wanted to offer their partner a second date, and how desirable they found the person as a romantic partner. Also Read – Leslie doing new comedy special with NetflixParticipants were notified of a “match” (and thus obtained each other’s contact information) only if they both offered each other another date. When examining the DNA samples collected from participants, the researchers focused on two polymorphisms (on two different genes) that were previously linked to social dynamics.One of the polymorphisms is part of the genetic make-up that has been linked to social dominance and leadership. The other, which has been linked to social sensitivity, is part of the opioid receptor gene that contributes to people’s capacity to experience social pleasure and pain, and their need to have social contact.The researchers found that men and women with genotypes consistent with prevailing gender norms were more likely to receive second date offers. They were also seen as more desirable short- and long-term romantic partners.
Kolkata: The Kolkata Metro Railway Corporation Ltd (KMRCL) has started evacuating residents of SN Banerjee Road from Tuesday to facilitate construction for twin tunnels under East-West Metro project. Eighty-six buildings fall between the 800-metre stretch between the Esplanade crossing and Subodh Mullick Square (Wellington Square) and residents of all these buildings will be relocated temporarily in phases for undertaking tunnel boring work.KMRCL has put up notices on the buildings to inform the residents to temporarily evacuate their homes. A number of shops and business establishments may also have to be closed for a few days with the west bound tunnel being dug. Also Read – Rs 13,000 crore investment to provide 2 lakh jobs: MamataA majority of these buildings are old and dilapidated. So, steps are being taken to strengthen these houses to prevent any untoward incident as there will be heavy vibration during the tunnel digging process. Steel props, tilt meters, settlement markers and other monitoring equipment are being used in the exercise. The props are meant to support the structures from the inside as well as the outside. “The strengthening work will continue side by side as tunnel boring machine (TBM) Chandi will be digging the tunnel,” a senior KMRCL official said. Also Read – Lightning kills 8, injures 16 in stateArrangements have been made for lodging the evacuated residents at nearby private hotels. The residents can return to their respective houses once the tunnel-boring machines have passed under their residences. The Anadi Cabin, known for its lip smacking Moglai Paratha, will be closed for four days sometime by the end of this week. Regal Cinema and the Shalimar Hotel will also be closed for a few days when tunnel-boring machines will cut underneath the buildings. “The last lap of the tunneling from Esplanade to Sealdah will require around 14 months to complete,” the official said. A similar exercise of evacuating residents and strengthening buildings had taken place when the tunnels were built along Brabourne Road as part of the project.
Over and out, B x [dropcap]W[/dropcap]hat a fabulous article in the Sunday Times (article below), yesterday, regarding the prospect of racecourses, being laid out, temporarily, like Formula 1 surfaces, in cities around the world, for horseracing to then take place on.Okay, so we all know, that such a move is 100/1 to come to fruition, but this is what our sport needs, Blog. Some fizz. Imagine if they pull it off, the spectacle would be incredible, as Ryan Moore pushes one of our Glorious Queen’s horses, to the front, just as the runners head past Buckingham Palace!This would add all the innovation and new interest our game sorely needs. I wish the organisers, the best of luck, and shall be applying for a (or several!) pitches immediately..!!