World cup hero for sports conference

first_imgNewsLocal NewsWorld cup hero for sports conferenceBy admin – November 2, 2010 685 Preparation the key for Mid West Sports ConferenceTHOMOND Park will play host to a World Cup hero, an All Ireland winning hurling manager and a global fitness expert as part of the ever popular and hugely successful Get BACk Challenge Sports Conference. Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up A number of the country’s leading sports coaches and experts will participate in a major sports conference to be hosted in Thomond Park Stadium.Tipperary’s All Ireland Hurling winning manager Liam Sheedy will be joined by Packie Bonner, FAI Technical Director and leading strength and conditioning coach Mike McGurn. The fourth Annual Get BACk Challenge Sports and Coaching Conference will be held on Wednesday November 24 at 7.30pm.The theme of this year’s event is “Preparation, for Performance, Individuals and Teams”.The Get BACk Challenge Conference is organised in association with the Mid West Local Sports Partnerships and proceeds will be donated to provide sports opportunities for socially disadvantaged children.  In the first three years of the event over 1400 coaches, parents and athletes have attended what is the largest event of its kind in Munster. Admission to the event is by pre booked ticket only. Bookings can be made through the Thomond Park box office on 061-421111 or online at www.thomondpark.ie.  Tickets are on sale at €20 each or clubs can avail of the special club offer of six tickets for a €100.Registration starts at 7pm with the first speaker presenting at 7.30pm sharp.  Last year’s event was a complete sell out so early booking is advisable. Print Email Facebook WhatsAppcenter_img Twitter Advertisement Linkedin Previous articleNew head for LCGANext articlePienaar to attend Dublin Guinness Area 22 adminlast_img read more

Senate meets over Zoom, temporarily extends term

first_imgStudent body vice president Patrick McGuire called the senate to order by banging his hydro-flask on his desk, while the group convened over a Zoom video conference call Tuesday evening.  Isabella Volmert | The Observer The student body senates meets over a Zoom conference call, Tuesday, March 31. Vice President Patrick McGuire, second from right on the top row, got creative and used a picture of the normal meeting space of the senate as his background for the call. The Observer took this screenshot of the video recording of the meeting.The last time the senate met was Wednesday, March 4, one week before the decision to move the University to remote learning changed the Notre Dame experience for the foreseeable future. During that meeting, Associate Vice President of Residential Life Heather Rakoczy Russell spoke with the senate about the on-off campus differentiation policy.After calling the senate to order, the group comprised of current senators, student union officers and observing newly elected senators and newly appointed officers got to business. The senate first heard a nomination from 2019-2020 Student Union Board (SUB) Executive Director Eric Kim for the 2020-2021 SUB Executive Director. Kim nominated current junior Mairead Pfaff of Pasquerilla East Hall for the position.“She has been in the Student Union Board for two years and has grown SUB to indescribable length,” Kim said. Using the option “Yes” in Zoom’s “participants” function, the senate approved the nomination. Using the same method, the senate approved the nomination of Matthew Bisner for the position of 2020-2021 Judicial Council President. Bisner is a current sophomore living in Sorin Hall who was the Judicial Council Vice-President of Elections and Chair of the Elections Committee this past election cycle.Outgoing Judicial Council President Halena Hadi said, “He has been an incredible Vice-President of Elections, demonstrating tremendous strength and composure through a tumultuous election season.” After congratulating the newly appointed officers, mostly by using the clapping hands emoji chat function, the senate heard and voted on two resolutions. The first was a resolution suspending several items of the student body constitution in light of the delay of the semester due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The current student body senate’s term was slated to end today, Wednesday, April 1. The resolution, “A Resolution to Ensure a Proper Student Union Transition Amid COVID-19,” extended the 2019-2020 senate’s term to April 8.McGuire explained in an email the senate will meet for the final time Wednesday, April 8, during which it will complete its business and according to McGuire, have a tentative update on the on-off campus differentiation policy from Russell. The April 8 meeting will conclude the 2019-2020 senate’s term and the new senators will be sworn in. “At the end of this meeting, I will motion to close the 2019-2020 Senate’s term, and then we will immediately follow with a meeting of the new Senate led by Sarah Galbenski. In this meeting, oaths of office and confirmation of key positions will take place,” McGuire said. To conclude the meeting, the senate passed a resolution which altered the constitution to make the role of student nion Parliamentarian a position under the Judicial Council. Hadi explained in an email, “The Parliamentarian was moved under Judicial Council explicitly, as they were formerly listed as part of Executive Cabinet, despite being selected by the Judicial Council President. The new Parliamentarian will be selected by the incoming Judicial Council President, my successor, Matthew Bisner, whose nomination was approved today.”Hadi suspects the nomination of Parliamentarian will come in the next few weeks.  Tags: 2019-2020 senate, 2020-2021 senate, coronavirus, zoomlast_img read more

ND juniors launch mask company celebrating residence halls on campus

first_imgThe beginning of the 2020-2021 academic year brought a slew of changes from a mixture of online and in-person classes to exclusively outdoor dining. One of the most noticeable changes is the mask requirement for all students in all campus buildings and outside where physical distancing is not possible.Each student was given at least three cloth masks to wear, but students were welcome to use other face coverings that they had or bought. At least for this semester, masks are a new reality –– one that two students wanted to ingrain with Notre Dame traditions.The L+H Mask Company began when juniors Jay Lokhorst and Ryan Hembree, both residents of Stanford Hall, saw a unique way to show dorm spirit. Their website to sell masks was launched July 21 after Hembree and Lokhorst put in a few weeks of work from concept to design to launch. The pair designed masks for all 32 undergraduate residence halls.“It started off that I wanted to make one for Stanford just for the guys living in Stanford, and then we just thought to make these for all the dorms because obviously wearing masks are very important right now, so we want to make sure that people have masks that they would enjoy wearing,” Lokhorst said in a phone interview.Hembree said he hopes the masks encourage students in the community to take precautions seriously.“Just the idea of the company was always just to give people an opportunity to make safety fun, in a sense, because it is a top priority,” Hembree said in a phone interview. “I really want to be able to stay here, but also stay here safely.”Each mask costs $10, and $1 of each sale will go to Catholic Charities Fort Wayne/South Bend COVID Relief. So far, Lokhorst and Hembree said they have sold roughly 250 masks.Lokorst said they plan to continue to sell as long as masks need to be worn on campus.“We’re kind of hoping that you know people will see other people wearing them and be like, ‘Oh, where did you get that?’ and that could help us out a lot,” Lokhorst said. “And I mean it has been fun, so hopefully they’ll keep selling.”Since the masks are custom-made for each dorm, each mask is made when it is ordered. The pair has a provider that creates the mask with the corresponding dorm design and then ships the product to the seller.Lokhorst, a business analytics major with a minor in innovation and entrepreneurship, saw creating the company as a learning experience, as well as a way to give back to the Notre Dame community. One of the challenging aspects, he said, was finding an avenue to sell the masks once they came up with the concept.“I did a lot of research about [selling online] and we found that Shopify is a great way to start an easy online business, but figuring out the best way for us to do it so it would be the most efficient was difficult,” Lokhorst said.Hembree, an economics major, said figuring out some of the legal ramifications surrounding the company was difficult.“A big challenge was just getting around like not violating any kind of copyrights so that we wouldn’t get immediately taken down,” Hembree said.Despite the challenges, Hembree said the entire experience has been both informative and rewarding.“Just the whole process of going from an idea to a product was, I think, a really awesome experience to kind of see the amount of work and the amount of stuff that goes on behind the scenes before you make your first sales,” Hembree said.Tags: business analytics, economics, L+H masks, residential halls, shopifylast_img read more

Cuomo Orders Testing Of Bethpage’s Ever-Creeping Toxic Plume

first_imgSign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York By Rashed Mian & Christopher TwarowskiGov. Andrew Cuomo has ordered the US Navy and Northrop Grumman to provide the state and a local water district access to monitoring wells so it can test for potential contamination caused by a toxic underground plume.Samples from the so-called “Grumman Plume”—the subject of a 2012 Long Island Press investigative multimedia report exposing its continuous southward journey and disastrous public health ramifications—will be tested for hazardous carcinogens by both the state and Massapequa Water District, Cuomo’s office announced Wednesday.“There have been too many questions about the extent of contamination caused by this plume and residents are frustrated with the lack of answers from the Navy and Northrop Grumman,” Cuomo said in a news release.New York Sen. Chuck Schumer, a Democrat, said testing of wells is “just what the doctor ordered” for residents in Massapequa, Bethpage, and South Farmingdale—communities where the plume has threatened water supplies.The news may provide some relief to residents and water district officials who’ve been lobbying the state for years to act. The plume is essentially a 4.5-mile long by 3.5-mile wide cocktail of potentially harmful chemicals which has been traveling south-southeast unabated for decades. The underground plume first crossed Hempstead Turnpike years ago and is currently on the verge of creeping past the Southern State Parkway.As recently as last November Massapequa Water District President Stan Carey wrote a letter to the US Navy and Northrop Grumman asking permission to sample monitoring wells to test for the “correlation between the TCE in the monitoring wells and the TCE emanating from” the plume. TCE is short for Trichloroethylene, which is classified as a human carcinogen by the US Environmental Protection Agency.As part of the state’s plan, the New York Department of Environmental Conservation will collect groundwater samples from monitoring wells in order to test for potential contaminants through a process called compound specific isotope analysis (CSIA), officials said. The Massapequa Water District will conduct its own independent analysis. State testing could be expanded if necessary, officials said.Carey thanked Cuomo for granting the water district access to conduct sampling and stated he looks “forward to continuing to work with New York State to protect Massapequa’s water wells.”The Massapequa Water District has maps charting the plume’s path spanning more than two decades.Local and state officials have feuded for years as to how to contain the plume and protect water supplies, with officials from the NYS Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) even supporting “post-wellhead treatment” for a time—allowing wells in the hazardous chemicals’ path to first become contaminated, then receive treatment.Critics panned the contamination-first strategy and demanded extraction wells to stop the spread of the toxic plume before it contaminated more public drinking water supplies and ultimately, the Great South Bay.In his statement, Schumer accused the Navy and Northrop Grumman of “stonewalling” the water districts in their attempts to test wells.The Navy has an agreement with the state DEC that calls for it to actively track down and remediate hot spots in the plume.Residents in the impacted areas are forced to deal with the effects of disposal practices dating back to World War II by the former aerospace and weapons manufacturer, previously known only as Grumman.Grumman was credited with helping the allies win the war, but its handling of waste has since come under scrutiny.In 1983, the 600-acre Grumman Aerospace-Bethpage Facility Site was listed in the Registry of Inactive Hazardous Waste Disposal Sites in New York State.last_img read more

ICC World Cup Imam ul Haq ton, Shaheen Afridi 6/35 give Pakistan bittersweet win vs Bangladesh in World Cup 2019

first_imghighlights Pakistan crashed out of the semi-final race in 2019 World Cup.New Zealand, India, Australia and England became the four semi-finalists.India will take on Sri Lanka in the last league game on Saturday. New Delhi: Pakistan was faced with an impossible mathematical requirement to enter the semi-final of the ICC Cricket World Cup 2019 ahead of their clash against Bangladesh. They had to score in excess of 400 to have a remote chance. Pakistan could manage only 315/9 thanks to Imam ul Haq’s maiden World Cup ton. Sarfaraz Ahmed’s side needed to bowl Bangladesh out for seven or less to secure a miraculous qualification. However, in the age of modernity, miracles were not possible and Pakistan crashed out of the semi-final race and handed New Zealand the fourth spot. Shakib Al Hasan continued his record-breaking run but Shaheen Afridi’s brilliant 6/35, the youngest to take a five-wicket haul and the best by a Pakistan bowler in the World Cup helped Pakistan avenge a 20-year pain by beating Bangladesh by 94 runs in Lord’s as their tournament ended in a bittersweet manner.Imam and Shaheen’s performance ensured Pakistan’s roller-coaster journey ended on the ultimate high. Pakistan won the toss and chose to bat which ensured that they stayed in contention. However, Fakhar Zaman struggled against the discipline of the Bangladesh bowlers and struggled to get going. Zaman fell to Saifuddin but that brought together Imam and Babar Azam, Pakistan’s in-form batsman.Azam started well with a couple of fours and together with Imam, strung a solid partnership. With both batsmen settling in, Azam and Imam rotated the strike brilliantly but they could not score at a rate which required them to reach 400. In the 28th over, Azam showed his intent by slamming a couple of boundaries off Mosaddek while he thumped three boundaries off Mustafizur as he neared a century. However, he missed a chance to reach his century when he was trapped LBW by Saifuddin for 96 and he could not reverse it on review.Imam was joined by Mohammad Hafeez and both batsmen looked to go after the Bangladesh bowling in the death overs. Imam notched up his maiden World Cup ton but he was undone by the extra bounce of Mustafizur and ended up being hit-wicket for exactly a 100. Pakistan lost their way in the death overs, with Mustafizur taking his 100th ODI wicket and it took some big blows from Imad Wasim to help Pakistan reach 315/9, a total which was not enough to help them reach the semis. For Bangladesh, Mustafizur underlined his class with back-to-back five-wicket hauls, having taken 5/59 against India in Edgbaston.When Bangladesh went past seven runs, Pakistan was eliminated and the match was a matter of pride for both nations. Mohammad Amir dismissed Soumya Sarkar after a brisk start but Shakib continued his magnificent form. Shaheen Afridi, though, was in fine form and he ended Tamim Iqbal’s poor tournament with a slower ball. Shakib, though, looked in fine touch but once he was undone by a pacy ball from Wahab Riaz, Bangladesh faced an uphill task.Shakib notched up his seventh fifty-plus score and became the third person after Sachin Tendulkar and Matthew Hayden to go past 600 runs in one edition. His partnership with Liton Das, worth 58 runs kept Bangladesh in the hunt but once Shaheen sent back both Liton and Shakib in quick succession, the writing was on the wall. The tail struggled to put up a fight and Shadab Khan also helped Shaheen secure a big win.The victory helped Pakistan eliminate the pain of 1999 in which they had lost to Bangladesh in Northamptonshire. However, the win will forever be bittersweet as they missed out on the last four due to net run-rate, thus denying them a chance to repeat the 1992 heroics.center_img For all the Latest Sports News News, ICC World Cup News, Download News Nation Android and iOS Mobile Apps.last_img read more