Blast hits headquarters of English-language weekly

first_img to go further March 17, 2005 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Blast hits headquarters of English-language weekly IraqMiddle East – North Africa Iraq : Wave of arrests of journalists covering protests in Iraqi Kurdistan News RSF’s 2020 Round-up: 50 journalists killed, two-thirds in countries “at peace” RSF_en Three jailed reporters charged with “undermining national security” News Follow the news on Iraq December 28, 2020 Find out morecenter_img Organisation Reporters Without Borders today firmly condemned an explosion yesterday at the headquarters of the Baghdad Mirror, an English-language weekly that is funded by the US army. The explosion, which the authorities subsequently attributed to a mortar shell, damaged the newspaper’s offices but caused no injuries.”We call on the Iraqi authorities to conduct a thorough investigation in order to identify and punish those responsible for this attack,” the press freedom organization said, stressing that it was “extremely concerned” about recent attacks targeting journalists.”Four journalists have been killed in Iraq since the start of the year, five have been kidnapped and one narrowly escaped a kidnapping attempt,” Reporters Without Borders said, adding that, “fortunately there were no victims from yesterday’s attack.”Yesterday’s explosion at the Baghdad Mirror occurred at midday. The newspaper is located in a house in the centre of Baghdad, near the Hotel Méridien, where most foreign journalists stay. It covers the activities of the coalition forces and is distributed free of charge on the streets of the capital.Iraq continues to be the world’s most dangerous country for the press, with 51 journalists and media assistants killed since the start of the war in March 2003. Receive email alerts IraqMiddle East – North Africa News News Help by sharing this information February 15, 2021 Find out more December 16, 2020 Find out morelast_img read more

Youth charged with attempted murder

first_imgNewsLocal NewsYouth charged with attempted murderBy admin – October 20, 2010 616 Print Advertisement Email Twitter Linkedincenter_img EMOTIONAL scenes surrounded the Children’s Court when a Limerick teenager, who cannot be named for legal reasons, was charged with the attempted murder of a 16-year-old boy, the victim of an alleged attack at a Corbally petrol station in July of this year.  The 17-year-old was arrested on Friday, July 23, the date of the alleged incident, and was originally charged with assault causing serious harm, and on this Tuesday, he was further charged with attempted murder. Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up The accused, who was originally remanded in custody to St Patrick’s Institution after the HSE told the court that they did not have “suitable accommodation” for him, returned to court this Tuesday when Det Gda Andrew Lacey cautioned and charged him at 15:50pm in front of his HSE case worker.He was further remanded in custody to St Patrick’s Institution, with the directions of the DPP to send him forward for trial on indictment to the Central Criminal Court. Solicitor for the accused, Darrach McCarthy, had told the court that his client had been under a voluntary care order to the HSE, had been taken into care and was being brought to a suitable residence in O’Brien’s Bridge at the time of the alleged incident.The Children’s Court had previously denied bail due to the very serious nature of the charges, with the HSE having stated they did not have suitable accommodation for the youth who had not been before the courts prior to the alleged incident.Mr McCarthy had said that his client needed the “assistance of the HSE now more than ever,” and that the charges were “preventing him getting that care”. Facebook WhatsApp Previous articleHungary’s expert dentistry serviceNext articleMurphy and Toner will look to be capped this Autumn adminlast_img read more