Print Facebook Twitter Previous articleAMAX poised to bring 100 jobsNext article100 jobs on way from AMAX Guest Writerhttp://www.limerickpost.ie TAGScomedycomedy clubCoors LightCorballyFor Feck SakeHollywoodjennifer HartnettlimerickLos AngelesScrabbleUSAWeight Watchers Young Social Innovators award for St Munchin’s Ross O’Carroll-Kelly is back and you’re invited! Des Bishop celebrates his mother with ‘Mia Mamma’ Farmer Michael and Kathleen: If you don’t laugh, you’ll cry Email WhatsApp Advertisement by Aoife [email protected] up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up LIMERICK comic Jennifer Hartnett is making funny news for 2015.The Corbally woman, who moved stateside 13 years ago, has started production on her very own news show through YouTube Studios. Jennifer has been back on Eastern shores no less that 24 hours after her Christmas visit home, and has already started to work on the project.Jennifer told the Limerick Post “I pitched the idea to YouTube Studios myself as well as a couple of other comics. I want to use comic commentators to do smart material on current events. The goal is to use comedy to educate. I feel people don’t engage politically because they don’t have the confidence. So this will be a satirical news show covering many topics like health, news, politics etc.”Its about making international content entertaining whilst phasing out the Kardashians and other ridiculous pop-culture acts.”As well as being a comic, Jennifer is a model and actress who is currently in a national commercial for Weight Watchers in the US. She has also featured in commercials for Hooters, Coors Light, Hollywood Jeans and a funny instructional video for SCRABBLE (HASBRO) which received over 800,000 hits on BuzzFeed.She is signed with Osbrink one of the largest commercial agencies in the US and 90210 Talent agency in Los Angeles. She also hosts her own show “For Feck Sake” at clubs throughout California including the world famous Comedy Store on Sunset Boulevard.Jennifer revealed a segment for her news show which she said she is quite excited about. “It’s called Luscious Ladies Liquored Literary Society or LLLLS. It will be a book club about non-fiction books. Smart books, political books, but to make it funny.”“The first production meeting for the show is this week and then it will be a few weeks before we begin shooting. I won’t do anything with the show until it’s perfect and I am happy with everything,” she said.Jennifer has already kicked off her busy New Year with a bang by presenting awards at the 2015 Mobile Excellence Awards at YouTube Studios in Los Angeles on Tuesday night.Speaking about her departure back to California, Jennifer said: “The sky is the limit in L.A but I must admit I do miss my home, I miss my friends and family. It’s great to come home.”Go to www.jenniferhartnett.com for news and updates. RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Standup and take a punchline at UCH Limerick Linkedin Ten Years since that Guy slipped on the Ice on TV EntertainmentComedyNewsLocal NewsJennifer brings Limerick laughter to Los AngelesBy Guest Writer – January 19, 2015 1000
Last week, Donald Fagen filed a lawsuit against the estate of his late bandmate Walter Becker, who died earlier this year, over the rights to continue to use the name Steely Dan for performances. Fagen also filed a suit against Steely Dan’s management firm, alleging that the firm has been withholding records from him.Today, a representative of Walter Becker’s estate provides a statement regarding Donald Fagen’s lawsuit, expressing their disappointment. Read the full statement below.“We were disappointed to learn that Donald Fagen commenced a lawsuit against (the estate of) Walter Becker, his partner of 50 years, on the eve of Thanksgiving. We believe the agreement to which Mr. Fagen refers in his suit — drafted 45 years ago— was not in effect at the time of Walter’s death.Mr. Fagen’s lawsuit, riddled with half-truths and omissions, misleadingly fails to state that the day after Walter died, Mr. Fagen had his lawyer send a demand letter to Walter’s estate, thus beginning a legal campaign against Walter’s family immediately after his death. The misrepresentation that his widow, Ms. Cioffi initiated any litigious action is simply untrue. In our view, Mr. Fagen is unfairly trying to deprive Walter’s family of the fruits of their joint labors.Since Walter’s passing, we have endeavored to achieve a compromise with Mr. Fagen. We were close to a resolution with his longtime counsel who he suddenly fired. We then negotiated in good faith with replacement counsel who Mr. Fagen also fired. Mr. Fagen’s third and current lawyer did not even attempt to contact us prior to filing a lawsuit.While we regret Mr. Fagen’s latest actions, we will vigorously defend against his unwarranted and frivolous case.”As The Hollywood Reporter previously outlined of Fagen’s actions,“At the center of the lawsuit is a 1972 Buy/Sell Agreement signed by the original bandmembers when Steely Dan was incorporated. According to the complaint, which was filed Tuesday in L.A. County Superior Court, the contract provides that whenever a member of the group quits or dies Steely Dan purchases all of that members shares in the group.By the 2010s, Fagen and Becker were the only remaining shareholders and signatories to the Buy/Sell Agreement,” writes attorney Louis “Skip” Miller in the complaint. ‘Four days after Becker’s death, on September 7, 2017, the Becker Defendants sent Fagen a letter stating that ‘We wanted to put you on notice that the Buy/Sell Agreement dated as of October 31, 1972 is of no force or effect.’”The letter sent to Fagen by Becker’s estate also asked that Becker’s widow receive 50% ownership of and become an officer of Steely Dan. Fagen has claimed that the Becker estate currently has control of Steely Dan’s official website, with the estate of the late Steely Dan guitarist refusing to give him access or any control of the site. Fagen is seeking a million dollars in damages and hoping that the court will arrive at the decision that Fagen, following Becker’s passing, is the sole owner of the Steely Dan name.
Student body vice president Patrick McGuire called the senate to order by banging his hydro-flask on his desk, while the group convened over a Zoom video conference call Tuesday evening. Isabella Volmert | The Observer The student body senates meets over a Zoom conference call, Tuesday, March 31. Vice President Patrick McGuire, second from right on the top row, got creative and used a picture of the normal meeting space of the senate as his background for the call. The Observer took this screenshot of the video recording of the meeting.The last time the senate met was Wednesday, March 4, one week before the decision to move the University to remote learning changed the Notre Dame experience for the foreseeable future. During that meeting, Associate Vice President of Residential Life Heather Rakoczy Russell spoke with the senate about the on-off campus differentiation policy.After calling the senate to order, the group comprised of current senators, student union officers and observing newly elected senators and newly appointed officers got to business. The senate first heard a nomination from 2019-2020 Student Union Board (SUB) Executive Director Eric Kim for the 2020-2021 SUB Executive Director. Kim nominated current junior Mairead Pfaff of Pasquerilla East Hall for the position.“She has been in the Student Union Board for two years and has grown SUB to indescribable length,” Kim said. Using the option “Yes” in Zoom’s “participants” function, the senate approved the nomination. Using the same method, the senate approved the nomination of Matthew Bisner for the position of 2020-2021 Judicial Council President. Bisner is a current sophomore living in Sorin Hall who was the Judicial Council Vice-President of Elections and Chair of the Elections Committee this past election cycle.Outgoing Judicial Council President Halena Hadi said, “He has been an incredible Vice-President of Elections, demonstrating tremendous strength and composure through a tumultuous election season.” After congratulating the newly appointed officers, mostly by using the clapping hands emoji chat function, the senate heard and voted on two resolutions. The first was a resolution suspending several items of the student body constitution in light of the delay of the semester due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The current student body senate’s term was slated to end today, Wednesday, April 1. The resolution, “A Resolution to Ensure a Proper Student Union Transition Amid COVID-19,” extended the 2019-2020 senate’s term to April 8.McGuire explained in an email the senate will meet for the final time Wednesday, April 8, during which it will complete its business and according to McGuire, have a tentative update on the on-off campus differentiation policy from Russell. The April 8 meeting will conclude the 2019-2020 senate’s term and the new senators will be sworn in. “At the end of this meeting, I will motion to close the 2019-2020 Senate’s term, and then we will immediately follow with a meeting of the new Senate led by Sarah Galbenski. In this meeting, oaths of office and confirmation of key positions will take place,” McGuire said. To conclude the meeting, the senate passed a resolution which altered the constitution to make the role of student nion Parliamentarian a position under the Judicial Council. Hadi explained in an email, “The Parliamentarian was moved under Judicial Council explicitly, as they were formerly listed as part of Executive Cabinet, despite being selected by the Judicial Council President. The new Parliamentarian will be selected by the incoming Judicial Council President, my successor, Matthew Bisner, whose nomination was approved today.”Hadi suspects the nomination of Parliamentarian will come in the next few weeks. Tags: 2019-2020 senate, 2020-2021 senate, coronavirus, zoom
Still, plenty of the focus centers on the Lakers’ young core. Although he contended “it’s too early to tell” on which player has emerged from that group, Kupchak sounded most impressed with Randle. Kupchak cited Randle’s career-high 25 points and 12 rebounds against Utah this week in what marked his ninth double-double of the season. “He was a man amongst boys. He had several games like that. He has the competitive energy that I’d love to see in young players,” Kupchak said of Randle. “That will get you a long way. He has to continue to grow skillwise on the court, when to bring it up, when not to bring it up and when to get to the hoop and when to shoot. But with that kind of energy and effort, he’ll be in this league for a long time.”As for the Lakers’ other young players?“We’re always prodding them to raise the energy level and play a little bit harder,” Kupchak said. “At this level, everybody’s talented. If you don’t bring it, you’ll fall into a group of ‘somebody that doesn’t bring it but they deserve to be in the league because of their talent level.’ You want to rise above that and you want to raise the bar with energy and effort.”Nance usually offered those qualities. But he has missed the past five games with a bone bruise in his left knee. The Lakers expect him sidelined for the next four weeks.Hence, Kupchak expressed uncertainty on whether he will pursue a free-agent frontcourt player to accommodate Nance’s absence. Since the Lakers have a full 15-man roster, they would have to waive either 25-year-old forward Thomas Robinson or veteran forward Metta World Peace before their one-year deals become fully guaranteed on Jan 10, 2017. “There’s a lot to consider,” Kupchak said. “A big part is Larry’s condition going forward. At first, we thought it was an ACL and he could be out for the season. But knock on wood, it’s a bone bruise and he seems to be getting better quickly.”Can the Lakers improve quickly? Kupchak sounded optimistic partly because of Walton’s presence and efforts to revamp the team’s culture after finishing the previous two years with their worst records in franchise history. “We got better players. Our younger players are a year older,” Kupchak said. “I don’t want to get into comparing last year and this year. But Luke has come in with a strong feel for what culture he wants to develop. I think he’s done a wonderful job.”Kupchak sounded encouraged several players have publicly praised Walton. Yet, Kupchak sensed some potential pitfalls. “There’s going to be rough spots where there are players that don’t agree with him,” Kupchak said of Walton. “But he’s going to learn game to game, season to season how to become a better coach.”Kupchak expects the same from his young players.“We have a better feel for who they are, but I want them all to continue to improve,” Kupchak said. “We need to win some games and continue to have a strong locker room and culture.” LOS ANGELES >> The question has hovered over the Lakers’ front office all season. It also remains a question Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak does not want to entertain.Lakers president Jeanie Buss has maintained she will hold executive vice president of basketball operations Jim Buss to his self-imposed timeline said in 2014 about stepping down if the Lakers did not become a Western Conference contender within three years. Still, Jim Buss recently told Southern California News Group “it would be a mistake on the Lakers’ part to make any switches,” citing the recently injury plagued seasons, the team’s intriguing young core and an up-and-coming coach (Luke Walton). That uncertain dynamic between the Buss siblings could also affect Kupchak, who is in his 30th season as Lakers’ executive and 17th in his current position. “I’m not going to comment on any of that stuff,” Kupchak said respectfully. Instead, Kupchak commented plenty on the various components that determine the Lakers’ long-term future. After seeing the Lakers “maybe exceed expectations a little bit” by flirting with a .500 record through the first 20 games, the Lakers have since lost 14 of their last 16 games en route to a 12-24 mark. Still, Kupchak sounded mindful of a few things. The Lakers’ starting backcourt in D’Angelo Russell and Nick Young missed a combined 20 games with overlapping injuries. The Lakers then took their longest trip of the season that ended with a 1-6 record through 12 days. “It’s just a matter of finding our mojo again and taking advantage of a more friendly schedule going forward,” Kupchak said. “I wish our record was a little bit better. But I love our young group. It’s going to be fun to watch them grow and develop.” Kupchak then raved about the steady growth Russell, Julius Randle, Brandon Ingram, Larry Nance Jr. and Jordan Clarkson have shown. Kupchak argued Young should be considered for “Comeback Player of the Year” after becoming more productive under Walton (14.2 points per game on 47.1 percent shooting) than under former Lakers coach Byron Scott through two seasons (a combined average of 10.35 points on a 35.3 percent clip). Kupchak called Lakers guard Lou Williams the favorite for the NBA’s Sixth Man of the Year award after leading the league in bench scoring (18.6 points per game).After signing center Timofey Mozgov to a four-year, $64 million deal last summer, Kupchak argued the Lakers’ center has provided “everything we’ve asked for” with defense, a post-up presence and a mid-range jumper. After securing veteran forward Luol Deal to a four-year, $72 million contract, Kupchak observed Deng “is finding his stride right now” after initial hiccups with his shooting accuracy. Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Error