NewsLocal NewsDramatic rescue for St Enda’s SCBy admin – January 13, 2011 593 At a meeting of Limerick City Council on Monday, it was revealed the facility had failed to meet the requirements of a Health and Safety Report.Tony O’Gorman, chairman of St Enda’s Sports Complex and St Enda’s School, reported that under legislation, they had no option but to close as they were unable to obtain funding for its refurbishment and therefore, could not insure the building.In a dramatic twist, Mr O’Gorman has now confirmed to this newspaper that behind-the-scenes talks resulted in a change of fortune that will save the complex for the immediate future, at least.“There was a lot of upset among staff and our membership after our problem surfaced. St Enda’s provides an excellent service to the people, both locally and from outside.“We have agreed a survival plan with the Department of Education to keep the complex open and as chair of the board, I am very confident for the future. Details of the plan will be revealed on Monday”.Councillors had already been alerted to what was described as an almost certain closure of the complex, by Cllr Ger Fahy.He revealed at a council meeting that the centre had been struggling to stay afloat.He had also expressed concerns about St Enda’s School, as with a vacant adjoining sports complex, there would be fears regarding anti-social behaviour arising in the area.City Council provides €65,000 annually towards St Enda’s Sports Complex. Cllr Joe Leddin told Monday’s meeting that without this financial support, St Enda’s would not be able to continue, and if closure was the only answer, it would have been a major loss to Limerick. Twitter Linkedin WhatsApp Facebook Threat of closure abatesIN a dramatic development this Wednesday, the Limerick Post was informed that St Enda’s Sports Complex, faced with the axe, is about to be saved.The strong and active membership from both city and county had voiced their shock that the future of the facility was under serious threat.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up Advertisement Email Print Previous articleNew car sales motoring wellNext articleBroken Record? admin
USGS(LOS ANGELES) — An earthquake with a preliminary 6.4 magnitude rocked Southern California at around 10:30 in the morning on the Fourth of July, according to the U.S. Geological Survey.The quake’s epicenter was near Searles Valley in the Mojave Desert, which is northeast of Los Angeles County.Structure fires were reported in the nearby city of Ridgecrest, according to Kern County fire officials.In San Bernardino County no injuries were reported but buildings and roads suffered damage, according to fire officials.The Los Angeles Police Department said it has not received any reports of damage or calls for service.“This was a strong one, and a good reminder to be prepared,” the LAPD tweeted.A tweet from the Los Angeles International Airport said no runways were damaged and the airport was operating as normal.A tsunami is not expected, according to the National Tsunami Warning Center.This story is developing. Please check back for more updates.Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.
Taarabt’s agent has claimed the midfielder has been told he can leave the club in the next transfer window, but Redknapp believes there is no interest in the Morocco star. Taarabt continues to battle ankle trouble, with Redknapp claiming the 25-year-old struggles to stay in shape. “Milan don’t seem to be interested in him now, no.” Rangers take on West Ham at Upton Park in Premier League action on Sunday, bidding to hit back from 2-1 defeat at Southampton. Brazilian midfielder Sandro was withdrawn from action at St Mary’s last weekend after suffering a knock to the head. The former Spurs star will be fit to face West Ham, but Redknapp admitted Joey Barton and Jordon Mutch are still battling hamstring trouble. “We’re not sure who will be fit really, we’ve got to have a look at one or two of them,” he said. “We won’t be sure until we get through today, then we’ll see how they are. “The knock on the head to Sandro was just a thing that happened, he’s recovered fully so hopefully he’ll be okay. “We need to tighten up, but it’s been difficult because I’ve brought some midfielders into the club and they’ve never been fit to play. “We’ve never got them on the pitch at one time, there’s always been a problem. “Sandro’s come in and been injured, Jordon Mutch has been injured, Joey Barton has been injured so it’s been difficult really to get a real settled group in there. “You need midfielders to weight in with goals, they have to score and if they’re not doing that they’re not producing.” Harry Redknapp has told Adel Taarabt to concentrate on getting fit for QPR rather than agitating for a January transfer. Press Association Redknapp said QPR will only entertain Taarabt leaving on a permanent transfer, with the west London club holding out for a £4.5million fee. Taarabt spent time on loan at AC Milan last season, but former Spurs boss Redknapp believes the San Siro club have cooled interest in a long-term deal. “Well I know nothing about that; the first thing he needs to go is to get fit and start playing football here, isn’t it?” said Redknapp. “That’s all we want Adel to do is, to be fit to play for QPR. “I don’t where he’s got the green light to leave in January from, he had the green light to leave in the summer, but there was no one, Milan didn’t come in for him. “He’s always had the green light if somebody wants to pay the money the club wants for him. “If they don’t pay the money he stays here. “But I need him fit, I want to get him fit, he’s a good player, a real talent, I just want to get him out on the training ground every day, get him fit and playing for QPR, that’s my only interest at the moment.