Protection for Rosario crime reporter threatened over coverage of drug case

first_img Follow the news on Argentina April 6, 2012 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Protection for Rosario crime reporter threatened over coverage of drug case ArgentinaAmericas Help by sharing this information Receive email alerts to go further July 6, 2020 Find out more December 4, 2019 Find out more News News Organisation center_img RSF_en On eve of the G20 Riyadh summit, RSF calls for public support to secure the release of jailed journalists in Saudi Arabia News Latin American media: under control of families, economic and political elites Journalists face archaic sanction of capital punishment in some parts of the world News ArgentinaAmericas Reporters Without Borders voices its support for Hernán Lascano, the Rosario-based La Capital newspaper’s crime reporter, who has been getting threatening messages since 2010 in connection with his coverage of a major drug-trafficking case and got a new, particularly disturbing message during the last week of March mentioning his daughter and his daily movements.Local sources told Reporters Without Borders that other journalists in Rosario, in the central province of Santa Fe, have been covering the case but only Lascano seems to have been receiving anonymous threatening messages.“The Santa Fe province authorities have appreciated the gravity of this situation,” Reporters Without Borders said. “We hail the response of provincial governor Antonio Bonfetti and Rosario mayor Mónica Fein in personally meeting with Lascano on 3 April to offer him and his family all possible means of protection.“Lascano is also receiving the support of the Rosario Press Union. All these gestures are vital, but will they be enough to stop the threats? We offer Lascano our additional support, and at the same time we hope that the police, who are investigating the threats, quickly identify who is behind them.”The threats that Lascano has been receiving since 2010 – initially sent to his personal email address – have alluded directly to his coverage of a case in which a certain Mario Roberto Segovia was arrested in 2008 in connection with an intercepted consignment of 300 kg of ephedrine bound for Mexico hidden in packets of sugar. Lascano did not at first report the threats to the police because he thought they posed a “limited danger.” These anonymous messages continued until October 2011.He received the latest threat on 26 October, three days before Segovia was sentenced to nine years in prison on charges of contraband, using false customs papers and endangering public health. It came in the form of a written letter with no mention of a sender that was received by neighbour. It detailed aspects of his private life and said: “You will understand what it is to lose.” La Capital filed a formal complaint about the threat with the prosecutor’s office.Although less so than their colleagues in nearby countries, Argentine journalists are also exposed to threats from drug traffickers, especial in the border provinces. Drug cartels, paramilitary groups financed by drug traffickers and other criminal organizations nowadays represent the main source of physical dangers to journalists worldwide. November 19, 2020 Find out morelast_img read more

Youth charged with attempted murder

first_imgNewsLocal NewsYouth charged with attempted murderBy admin – October 20, 2010 616 Print Advertisement Email Twitter Linkedincenter_img EMOTIONAL scenes surrounded the Children’s Court when a Limerick teenager, who cannot be named for legal reasons, was charged with the attempted murder of a 16-year-old boy, the victim of an alleged attack at a Corbally petrol station in July of this year.  The 17-year-old was arrested on Friday, July 23, the date of the alleged incident, and was originally charged with assault causing serious harm, and on this Tuesday, he was further charged with attempted murder. Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up The accused, who was originally remanded in custody to St Patrick’s Institution after the HSE told the court that they did not have “suitable accommodation” for him, returned to court this Tuesday when Det Gda Andrew Lacey cautioned and charged him at 15:50pm in front of his HSE case worker.He was further remanded in custody to St Patrick’s Institution, with the directions of the DPP to send him forward for trial on indictment to the Central Criminal Court. Solicitor for the accused, Darrach McCarthy, had told the court that his client had been under a voluntary care order to the HSE, had been taken into care and was being brought to a suitable residence in O’Brien’s Bridge at the time of the alleged incident.The Children’s Court had previously denied bail due to the very serious nature of the charges, with the HSE having stated they did not have suitable accommodation for the youth who had not been before the courts prior to the alleged incident.Mr McCarthy had said that his client needed the “assistance of the HSE now more than ever,” and that the charges were “preventing him getting that care”. Facebook WhatsApp Previous articleHungary’s expert dentistry serviceNext articleMurphy and Toner will look to be capped this Autumn adminlast_img read more