Magogo was voted the CAF Executive Committee member for East & Central Africa Zone on Thursday. (PHOTOS/File)The Federation of Uganda Football Association, Moses Magogo has been elected as the new Confederation of African Football (CAF)Executive Committee member for East & Central Africa Zone.This was at the 41st CAF Ordinary Assembly that was held on Thursday, July 18-2019, in Zamalek Egypt.Magogo beat off competition from Leodengar Tenga, beating the Tanzanian 33 to 19 in terms of overall votes. Magogo will replace Tenga at the Executive Committee.FUFA’s first vice president Justus Mugisha cast the voted on behalf on Uganda.Speaking after his election, Magogo said that it has always been his dream to become a CAF Executive connittee member.“It has been my dream from 20 years ago that one day I would be a CAF Executive Committee member. Noted Magogo.“I am so happy that I have achieved it now.”Several other committee members were elected and announced at the glamorous ceremony.For the past years, Magogo has been a co-opted CAF Executive Committee member but had no voting powers.Other results:Libya’s Abdulhakim Abraheem Abdulrarazzik Al Shalmani beat Amar Bahloul from Algeria 29-21 to take the Northern Zone seat.For the Southern Zone slot, Mauritius’ Mohamad Ally Samir Sobha beat four other candidates in a one-sided poll.Sobha tallied 38 votes, Kamanga had 10 and Adam Mthetwa from Eswatini had only two votesElvis Raja Chetty (Seychelles) and Felton Kamambo (Zimbabwe) one vote apiece.Un-opposed:Three candidates from the Western Zone A, Western Zone B, and Central Zone were un-opposed.Senegal’s Augustin Senghor (Western Zone A), Sita Sangare (Burkina Faso) for Western Zone B and Central Africa Republic’s Patrice Edouard Ngaissona for Central zone.At the same congress, CAF President Ahmad Ahmad made stunning remarks to personalities he thinks are letting down the interests of Africa as a confederation.“We are lagging behind all confederations. I will not name names of those who have frustrated us. I turned to FIFA for counseling reasons. We know what happened to FIFA some time ago that problems until Gianni Infantino emerged and had turned around FIFA,” Ahmad fumed.Ahmed was furious with those that he claims, keep on letting Africa’s interests down. Meanwhile, the CAF President Ahmad Ahmad will be expected to address the media during a special press conference, at Eugenie Ballroom, Cairo Marriot Hotel.Comments Tags: 41st CAF Ordinary AssemblyCafLeodengar TengaMoses Magogotop
The Delhi Commonwealth Games Organising Committee on Tuesday claimed that it has cleared dues amounting to Rs 111.84 crore to 36 of the 45 foreign companies involved in the Games last year.The remaining nine companies have already been paid Rs 191.11 crore and a balance amount to the tune of Rs 17.80 crore has been withheld owing to non-performance of contractual obligations, the OC, which is facing allegations of widescale corruption, said in a press release.The companies which have got their dues include eight vendors to whom payments have been made between January 24 to January 31.In addition, there are 71 Commonwealth Games Associations (CGAs) to whom a total travel grant to the tune of Rs 16.74 crore was payable. Out of these, the OC said, 64 CGAs have been paid Rs 14.95 crore, and the balance payment of Rs 1.79 crore to the seven remaining associations will be released by February 7.Quite a few companies from Australia and England threatened to sue the CWG organisers for non-payment of pending dues running into millions of dollars.Reports of a USD three million-plus class action emerged at a time when India’s foreign minister S M Krishna visited Australia and the issue figured prominently in Krishna’s talks with his Australian counterpart Kevin Rudd.The claims were largely linked to the opening and closing ceremonies and Australian firms said they were upset with the OC’s refusal to settle disputes.The OC countered that most payments were complete and those awaiting disposal had to do with “under performance and contractual obligations”.Newly elected sports minister Ajay Maken then directed government nominees in the OC to thoroughly verify unpaid dues and make all the legitimate payments within 10 days.advertisementThe payment disputes lingered for more than three months after the October 3 to 14 Games. Australian firms such as Howard and Sons, Norwest and a consultant for the ceremonies had claimed that doing business in India was an arbitrary and risk-laden affair.Agency reports said events organiser Ric Birch had commissioned a law firm for a multi-million dollar lawsuit that would involve four large Australian firms including his Spectak Productions and fireworks company Howard & Sons.The companies whose payments have been withheld are Swiss Timing, Infostrada Sports, K Events SRL, Mark Fisher, Great Big Event, Spectek Production, Production Resource Group, EKS Workforce and E&Y Workforce (Consortium with EKS).